Are you in need of network upgrade or expansion for more capacity, performance or higher reliability? If your company’s 2.4GHz or 5GHz TDD-based wireless equipment is just not cutting it anymore, it might be time to evaluate point-to-point radio technology — specifically in the 24.05 to 24.25 GHz range.
Best applications for 24GHz band
Radios operating within the license-free 24GHz fixed wireless Part 101 band can connect locations from several hundred feet to tens of miles away from each other depending on the target data rate and required up-time. For example, a system with up to 1Gbps Layer 2 throughput would operate up to 1 mile, whereas a 100Mbps system can reach up to 10 miles. A quick path calculation for a link can be done online in few minutes using the SAF Path calculator.
The 24Ghz band is much less prone to interference compared to 2.4 GHz or 5.8GHz bands. The 2.4GHz and 5.8Ghz bands are widely used in consumer devices, e.g. phones, laptops, Wi-Fi access points. Whereas 24GHz band isn’t used by consumer devices so there’s significantly smaller chance of interference.
Utilizing very narrow beam-width antennas also helps with reducing interference. Compared to 360 degrees omnidirectional or 90 degrees sector antennas (used with 2.4Ghz and 5.8GHz) - 24GHz antennas generally operate below a 3-degree beam-width.
Another obstacle for operating a radio in 5GHz bands outdoors is that it’s required to have DFS (Dynamic Frequency Selection) functionality enabled for avoiding interference with government radar. When DFS detects radar being used in the area it automatically changes to a different channel. This can cause network outages, especially if there are other 5GHz radios already operating in these channels (this is a high probability due to all of the consumer equipment already operating in these bands).
Point-to-point 24GHz technology allows network operators to build cost-efficient high-quality networks quickly and easily. These solutions require low capital expenditures because the radios are relatively inexpensive and there are no costs for laying or leasing cable or fiber. Operating costs are also low since there are no licensing fees. Utilizing 24GHz radios in your network provides a fast return on investment.
SAF Integra 24GHz radio benefits
- Reliability – SAF thoroughly tests every radio unit before shipping
- High availability and high-performance antennas – allows re-using the frequency band and helps isolate potential interference
- Cost savings - license-free band allows network owners to build out new links quickly
- Interference-free operation - non-congested spectrum reduces connectivity issues
- Flawless VoIP and video streaming - ten times lower latency and low jitter result in high-quality transmission. Here is an illustration showing packet delay and jitter between a TDD chipset based system before and after installing an FDD-based system with no PPS (packet per second) limitation:
- Simplicity — SAF radios are easy to install and easy to use.
- Low-risk - with SAF 5-year warranty, you get peace of mind
Excellent technical support — These are not just words. Our microwave radio experts will go the extra mile to solve any network related issue and make sure customer gets the maximum performance from SAF’s products.
SAF microwave experts developed a solution with the following features and characteristics:
- Full outdoor 24GHz carrier-grade quality radios
- Flexible data-rate options with Integra series radios:
- 100 Mbps full-duplex bandwidth at 30MHz channel + Header Compression
- Up to 474 Mbps L2 throughput Full Duplex with Integra GS with built-in header compression and over the air encryption
- Up to 643 Mbps L2 throughput Full Duplex with Integra W at 80MHz channel
- Part 101 compliant and full FCC and IC equipment 3rd party verification granted
- A user-friendly web-browser-based management interface
- A powerful out-of-the-box system for quick and simple installations
The SAF Tehnika Integra series 24GHz All-Outdoor Radio System provides network operators a top choice carrier-grade alternative for replacing their 2.4GHz or 5GHz TDD-based wireless equipment. Upgrading your network ensures your customers a high-quality user experience and helps to keep them from looking for alternative internet solutions.
When you need a trouble-free experience for your end users, you need the SAF Tehnika Integra 24GHz All-Outdoor Radio System. For more information and to get a quote, contact the connectivity professionals at SAF Tehnika at Sorry, no go without enabled JS, pal. :( or Sorry, no go without enabled JS, pal. :( (North American customers) or 720 502 0728.